Thursday, December 9, 2010

Not A Thing, But A Think!

I was having a conversation with a friend about an event that involved us both.  I listened and I talked.  I discovered that we saw the same situation completely different.  We placed emphasis on different points and clearly did not agree. 



"No two people see the external world in exactly the same way. To every separate person a thing is what he thinks it is -- in other words, not a thing, but a think."  -PENELOPE FITZGERALD


Our perceptions of the same event gave us different views.  The event was what we "think".  Ever heard the saying "There are three opinions; mine, yours and the truth"?  It made me question truth.  Is there a TRUTH?  If we're all just perceiving as we think, then where is truth?  Seems to me that people argue more about their perceptions than truth.  However, my friend and I walked away with an acceptance of our differences and owning our own truth.  We're still friends. 

In relationships (of all kinds) parties may not agree because they simply think differently.  We're then given the opportunity to communicate, negotiate and compromise.  Be creative.  The world doesn't have to end because people think differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment