Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sade

The year was 1985. My middle school best friend, her sisters and me were waiting to see the #1 video on the countdown.  Then it was announced and the music began to play "no need to ask...he's a smooth operator..." We responded with a unified disappointed “Aw man!!!”.  I’m sure we were hoping to see Ready For The World or New Edition but nope, it was Sade. I think we watched for a few seconds and then headed out to the movie theater across the street from my friend’s neighborhood.

I didn’t appreciate that sort of music back then.  I mean I was a kid.  But fast-forward to 2011 as Helen Folasade Adu, the woman we know as Sade appears coming up from the ground at Philips Arena in Atlanta, lights low, with a slow stroll, the snare drum click-clacking clear as ever, as she sings “I’ve lost the use of my heart but I’m still alive…” I think, no I know, I had tears in my eyes.  Having gained experience, loved and loss, I now understand what she means.

This concert was the best I have ever been to.  It was emotionally moving, visually eye catching, musically OFF THE CHARTS, nostalgic as she sang songs that I have grown with and she looked AMAZING.  She was beautiful and ridiculously sexy although fully clothed; something music often lacks nowadays.  She sometimes wore an Audrey Hepburn inspired black top, ankle pants and flats, to a Irene Cara (via Sparkle) off-white gown with a hot pink peek-a-boo bra with bare feet and she closed the show in a candy apple red long sleeve dress. She oozed love, emotion, freshness, depth, pain and healing.  If you haven’t seen her live, please do.  This chick…I dig!

Check out this video from the concert.....she's SMOKIN'!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment