Friday, July 29, 2011

I Wish I Never Knew Religious Beliefs

Photo from www.smileconstantly.wordpress.com
I still make wishes every now and then, perhaps the kid in me would like life to be that easy.  Blow out a few candles or dandelions, throw a penny in a well, close my eyes immediately after seeing a shooting star then make a wish.  And no doubt I've had a few come true, not without my own effort, planning and hard work of course.  But the wish to know life without Christian Fundamentalism is one that I will never experience.  I was raised that way and had spent 30 plus years believing it, even though I didn't always try to live it.  But why would I wish I never knew it? So I could know what it's like to live life without the lingering thoughts of God, Christ, Satan, hell, sin, submission, backsliding, repentance, church on Sundays, bible study, tithing, equally yoked, prayer, fasting, blessings, curses, and seeking God for His will before I make decisions etc.   

I can't emphatically say that I believe the basic tenements of Christianity and it seems hypocritical to me to say I am a Christian. But admitting it came with a boat load of fear. Fear of being struck down, killed and sent straight to hell, judged and labeled a backslider, losing relationships with my Christian family and friends, and ending up on everybody's prayer list for God to call me back to the fold.  As hard as it was to deal with those fears (some I saw painfully realized), I never could have imagined the mental battle I would face while learning to live a normal life without Christianity.  I had no idea that it would even be an issue.  Here are a few examples:

1. Having dinner and wanting to just eat but feeling like I should say grace especially when with believers.
2. Getting paid, not giving any money to God via a church and being OK with that decision.
2. Dating and learning that religious beliefs pose a serious issue, even for me.
3. The responsibility that comes with owning my life choices and the outcomes produced vs. thanking God for the good while rebuking the devil for the bad.
4. The anxiety experienced when asked "What church do you go to?" and having to respond with "I don't."
5. Wondering if good will happen in my life without professing Jesus as my Lord and Savior.
6. Not saying "Thank you Lord" when good does happen and looking around for curses to appear in my life because of my lack of acknowledgment.
7. Questions about the afterlife that can never be answered until I experience it.
8. When my non-belief is exposed, people say it's because I was mistreated by clergy, or hurt that God didn't save my marriage or heal my sister of stage four cancer.

I could go on and on with this list, most of which says more about my perceptions and new thoughts  bumping up against my old fundamentalism.  I really shouldn't care as much as I have since my reasons for not believing have to do with facts and historical discrepancies that would make this post even longer than intended (maybe I'll share some of it later). But while owning my new thoughts I'd often have knee jerk responses to life and then think "Wait, why am I doing this?"  My friend and I call it residue; a left over film of fear induced beliefs still clinging to areas of my mind.

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not rude.  My father is a preacher, my mother a devout woman of prayer, my brother a minister in the area of music and an even longer list of religious family members with various titles.  With all of these family dynamics, I would be inhumane to disrespect my loved ones.  Just because I've changed doesn't mean others have or will.  And I could very well change again.  So I pause as grace is said, visit my father's church and actually pay attention listening to learn something, accept that people have different beliefs, don't stir up any unnecessary issues in a group of believers, give to organizations that help those in need, and still express gratitude for the ability to live and enjoy a good life.  

But after making new friends who are less rigid Christians, or friends who are spiritual and open to many different thoughts, or agnostics who admit they aren't sure either way, I've been shown a different spirituality that still celebrates love, giving, family, hope and faith without fear.  But the most intriguing conversations have been with atheists who have NEVER known religion.  Nothing pushes them toward it or from it.  No mental hurdles to get over, no battles with God's approval or disapproval.  Just...........living.  And they still celebrate love, giving, family, hope but no faith.  They are free to think for themselves and make decisions without cognitive dissonance with their eternity hanging in the balance.  No spiritual attributions made to explain life's ups and downs. They seem to look at life with rational thinking, scientific facts and proven theories.  No asking God to "help my unbelief", they just don't believe.   I'm not claiming one is better than the other especially since wonderful things and awful things happen on both sides.  People need different things to make sense of life and it's not my intent to determine truth for anybody else.  To each his own.  I just wonder what that would be like.  I wish I could know, if even in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment